Tuesday 27 August 2013

Sweetest Taboo 3 pt1


                               Shekinah....The aftermath

Oh yes he sat in that classroom the perfect lesson constantly drawing....drawing me to him ?
imminently enticing ...our young hearts understood us not
with him i must smile
with him my soul would learn to breath
with him my face would understand why
this wide grin only occurs in his presence

my little hand held his accepting a proposal that would bind me for life
innocently taking pictures
that would bind the memory for life
Vowing to love forever
though she knew him not

mother nature sure knows her seasons
for when fall came it was I that flew into anothers nest
that was never as secure as yours
A broken promise
a fading picture teinting the ocean red
where your ship should have sailed

Across the seas I heard a cry
my mind floats without you
lost at sea where your kiss should have been my campus
zombing on sweet lies and perfect goodbyes
yet sailing back to where i began.

She claimed ur heart
more ink drops
a flight home and history was her name
a love so pure and unteinted
at the mention of your name my heart knows home at last

I will love you always like I did then
The more I do now
Extremely tomorrow and
forever my lover and friend


‘For goodness sake do not tell me you are working late again’moaned my feisty best friend Hope. She and I have been inseparable since the very first day we met as children. Her being popular and me suffering at the hands of monster Mwalubemba. That was then. When we were petite, worry free until we lost our friend Janet. The twosome has remained solid ever since and my love for Hope intensified. I can safely say she is the only other person outside my family that I am comfortable loving or being close to.

Hope is just that. Hopeful. She lives off the hope of achieving her dreams any dreams. Today it could be a fashion designer or tomorrow it could be a singer whatever floats her boat for the day. Her main ambition is to live life at the fullest. Currently she has been onto the whole Miss Zambia auditions. She is tall, slender beautiful and confident. The only thing standing between her and that cup is that she is mixed race or coloured. One of those girls you just love to hate because beauty for them comes naturally. They do not have to chase it with make up or endless hours at the gym. Beauty worships the very ground she walks on and promises to bestow every man at her feet. To be Hope’s friend it would be in your best interest to ensure that youare in your best shape otherwise entering a club or party with her will justmake you wish you had stayed at home.


That is exactly what caused me to start taking aerobic classes at the gym. Not only was it a good stress reliever but it also shaped and toned my short figure to give me a fighting chance at the dudes. Although to be honest with you I don’t even know why I bother because I just do not have the confidence like she does to date or let alone be around a man. It bothers me a lot to allow myself to be that vulnerable around a man. They are shady creatures. Anyway I don’t have the time to be mingling with them. The closest thing that I can allow myself to do is be in a gym full of buff sweaty gorgeouschocolate men who when they approach me, I run like hell! Ludicrous? Yes I know but don’t judge me.

‘Woman you need to put those files down and let those sexycurls down eh? Come on now. It is Tendai’s birthday and she will have your head on a silver plate if you cancel. We are all going for a house party round hers later and you know how wild those get’ she giggles playfully on the phone. I imagine she is probably already painting her toe nails to match whatever colour outfit she is wearing tonight and Cecilia is probably going to be doing her hair. One thing she is right about though is Tendai’s feisty nature to behead you without a trace. Tendai is an aspiring model too and sexy as hell. Dark beauty with blackshiny strong hair that reflects her tenacity. She is the proper definition ofdiva but has her nice moments. We have all learnt through the years that a present is vital when going to her parties and it must be expensive enough. Missing her party is no excuse to dodge buying her present if you want to survive in Sata’s ‘money in your pockets’ regime. The man makes us laugh. The money in your pockets concept proved to be so farfetched that the majority of us newly grads have ended with no money at all. Even the poor maids who are now demanding minimum wage end up with no wage as their employers slowly let them go. I stop and think about what I would do if my maid Charity were to up and leave. I doubt I could survive. ‘I know you are thinking that you have not got a present for her but trust me I already sorted that out. I got her a ticket to go bungee jumping and if she survives that maybe an elephant back ride will ensue. Hahahaha fingers crossed she takes a nose dive then we can all get away from these parties! But come on! Plenty of cocktails tonight!’


‘Alright fine I will come’
‘Yay I knew I will count on you, you little alkie and yes the flat is still in one piece just come home already’
‘OK I will be there soon’ thank God for Charity because our flat would be far from clean. Hope’s definition of clean is leaving hairstraighteners and weave extracts in the living room. We have been sharing the flat in Ibex hill since 2010. In all honesty it is absolutely gorgeous and furnished to girly style perfection. The kitchen is a happy yellow with a mahogany central table and suiting fitted counters around. The rest of the place is cream white apart from the two bedrooms and the bathroom. Hope’s room is a light shade of orange and fitted with matching duvets that just change in colour every week. Mine is lilac but I do not care for fancy beddings though Hope sees to it that I have them ‘ah ah what if your boo comes round. You can’t be raggedy!!’ she would say with one arm resting on her hip and the free longhand clicking at me from head to toe which is not a long distance for her. She isseriously deluded because she knows we both can’t remember the last time I hada dude over. No I am not a lesbian so don’t even think that!


Since moving to Lusaka we have been lucky especially with meworking at the cabinet offices after completing my Law Degree. I am still at the bottom but we are comfortable enough to pay for the flat and send mama somemoney every month. The epitome of a woman. I owe her my soul. I pull up outside the flat and I am immediately hijacked by Hope and two other girls she has invited over and they are clearly tipsy already.
‘Ooooh girl quick we have to get going asap! Mumba andTasila will do your hair and makeup cuz you know you are raggedy like that’Hope’s recent catch phrase- Raggedy!

‘Charity please take out the things from the boot’ I yell over my shoulder as I am hijacked into the house.

‘So listen woman I have an awesome surprise for you at theparty which might just put an end to this dry
raggedy spell of yours. You are going to love it and maybe soon we will be lining up to catch your bouquet!’

‘I am not even on that marriage plane still. The only thing that will get me near a man is a gun’

‘Oh nonsense! If you think you have me for a best friend just to have as a deco you have another think coming’

‘Well what about you why can’t you get married’

‘Because I don’t get down like that. I live in the edge, you live in the safe and marriage is safe’ the other girls giggle but carry ondoing my makeup.

‘You are going to owe me big because this surprise is here tostay baby! Whooo! Now down this bomb and let’s get going Shey’

Sigh. I dread to think what awaits me. This is going to be adarn long night.






No comments:

Post a Comment