Friday 23 August 2013

Sweetest Taboo 2 pt2

Chapter 2

 
 
I hit again and again as though my entire life depended on it. My stupid sister comes to the rescue and all I can hear is her screaming that I need to stop and let go of her demon child. The strength which embraces me right now is diabolical. It consumes my every reason my every passion and demands justice. Justice for so much more than just my little girl’s loss of chastity. Justice for the pain and humiliation, for the love that she will now struggle to embrace, for the animal that is now building up inside her because she has been driven mad by this animal. This monster that now lays at my feet.
My son Chisanga joins in with the kicking as Trevor falls down to the floor. Finally they manage to pull me off his body. Trevor is bleeding from several points on his head and I am glad to see it. You can judge me all you like but this is just the beginning.
‘Mwaka have you gone absolutely insane?’ my sister asks.
‘You knew about what he had done and still you did not say anything?’ I wonder how long she had known for. I wonder how long she had been aware that my baby was screaming out and nobody helped her. She is her niece. How could she be so ruthless and turn a blind eye to what had happened.
‘I only found out last week!’
‘And what did you tell her? That it was OK for him to do this?’ She goes silent and I take it that means yes and I pick up the crystal ball that has been in the family for years and attempt to launch it at her smug face only Towela grabs my hand and instead the heavy object falls on my sister’s foot. She yells out in pain and tries her best to nurse her foot.
‘Mwatendeka ishilu lelo’ Bana Kulu Themba says in the background. Chisanga is shouting all sorts of obscenities at Trevor but Bana Kulu is restraining him. Clara stays with the children in the bedroom to keep them from the scene.
‘Mwaka, please let us calm down and discuss this. It is not OK to handle this when the children are around…..’
‘Don’t tell me that Towela! Don’t! Would you sit calmly and discuss anything if this donkey did that to Thandiwe? Would you? I don’t care if they hear it! My daughter has been quiet because this excuse for a human being told her I could not protect her. OK. You two stay here. Wait for me! You have never seen me this mad today you will see. Stay right here! I am coming for you!’ I scream at the two mongrels. Towela knows this means trouble and not the subtle type. I race off to my room and head for the cabinet.
This boy thinks he can tell my child that he will kill me and get away with it. I open the closet hurriedly and reach for the top shelf. Towela kneels down and begins to beg me. Please think of what Jesus would do.
Jesus? Right now you want to talk to me about Jesus? ‘Towela, Jesus should have followed his father’s instruction about an eye for an eye! Lucky for me I am a firm believer in that. Jesus would probably say give him the other cheek too and my baby is all outta cheeks thank you so do not ask me what he would do!! He can judge me when I am done with this nincompoop!’
I finally find the thing I am looking for. My husband’s hidden treasure. When he brought this thing in the house I was mad as hell. I could not believe he had brought it into our house after all the memories that were attached to it. Brandon had always been a good friend growing up. He and I had been inseparable. Despite all the chatter from our parents to keep us apart, it only fuelled our passion for each other. He had been aware of my agony for a while but had no idea how to help me. Especially because he was so much older than us.
When Brandon heard the cries coming out of our house he had wasted no time to reach into his father’s stash and come to my rescue. I was trembling but I managed to open the case. Towela is now in tears begging me not to do this but I push her out of the way and head back to the dining room with her tugging along behind me.
‘So you thought I was playing huh?!!!!You thought I was playing?’ My stupid sister starts screaming and Bana Kulu Themba is frozen on the spot.
‘Yangu…..Trevor look at what you have caused’ Bana Kulu laments.
‘Mama what are doing??’ Chisanga asks looking at me frightened. He eyes do not recognise me though he calls my name.
‘Chisanga, move towards mama, now.’ He slowly moves towards me whilst Trevor starts praying to his fake God because there is no way in hell he could be praying to the God that we are all taught to respect. He is not so big now as he stands there begging for his life. Bana Kulu moves with Chisanga out of harm’s way but the two criminals in front of me know better than to move an inch.
‘Mwaka, please. Eh. Please forgive them. Punish him another way but not like this. Not like this again’ Towela says still on her knees rubbing her hands together beseeching me to reason. Do you want their blood all over your house? Reminding you every day? A wicked part of me like her reasoning. If I blow his brains out right here it will ruin my décor. If I wait and do it elsewhere, it will even be better. No I do not want his blood in my house but I don’t mind it on my hands.
‘Put the gun down baby. Come on put the gun down’ it is Brandon. I am so clouded with anger that I do not even hear him coming through the front door. My eyes are loaded with tears. I am trembling with anger and the inward turning of my eyes is enough to raise the dead. I have had this feeling before. This feels like a damn déjà vu! Except this has been done in my house. Violated my daughter right under my nose. How am I to know that it is only Shey he has done this to? How could he lay a finger on her? Does he know the pain of child birth? I find it hard to even raise a hand to my own child but by God if somebody was gone hurt her it better be me  and not someone I had chosen to show kindness to. My baby was hurt by my own family.
‘Put the gun down sweetheart and come and tell me all about it. Me and you, we are a team. I will listen. I will deal with it. You know I will. Just trust me and give me the gun’ Brandon repeats. In between sobs, I allow myself to listen to his voice then I begin to lower the gun…..I hope for his sake he does a better job than I. if people here think I am out to play games, they have no idea that I will take them to hell with me. I will go through hell fire for my baby, snatch that devil and head back in for round two. Brandon...you better do your best because love alone cannot guarantee your safety if you fail me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment