Tuesday 20 August 2013

Bigger than love pt1

I have been many things but careless has not been one of them so imagine my surprise to find myself in such a situation. Not to mention this is the wrong country, wrong time and culture to find myself in such a predicament. Like what the hell??!! I have only been here what 4 weeks? This cannot be happening. What the hell am I supposed to explain? Where do I even begin?

All these questions race through my mind as I sit nervously in the cramped minibus watching people argue over mundane issues. If only they knew how I had huge problems right now, they would keep their gobs shut right. It is rush hour and everyone seems cranky. Mainly overworked, underpaid and pissed off. Mine is of another specie though. I have to go home and...well explain my situation to my folks and to Ryan.

'Alo Sister!' the conductor interrupts my thoughts demanding for the fare. Typical Zambia. Customer service is top notch! Not. I rummage through my handbag and give him a 2Kwacha for my fare and look out the window praying for all manner of mercies from God. I have only been here 3 weeks so this is not an ideal situation for me to be in. Ok let me not panic. I mean I don't even know what it is going to be right?

" Conductor niseluka" I instructed so he could let me off the bus. The conductor tapped twice on the roof of the bus to signal to the driver to stop. Two completely inconsiderate big women had decided to sit next to me and squash me into a corner. I wait patiently as they get off the bus so that I can have room to get off the bus. The bus drives off leaving a wave of dust behind and I immediately regret not having taken my sunglasses.

Sigh. Time to face the music and find out how the next weeks are going to play out for me. I have a strong sense this will not be fun and they say a woman's intuition is never wrong. For my sake I hope I am.

Copyright © Chisanshi Malama 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment