Friday 2 March 2012

My Father

facebook.com/alwaysqueenafrica
There is no describing my old man….
from when i can remember this was the voice in my growth
the inspiration in my voice
and the wisdom in my choice
Oh yes we interlocked like a set of hands
that are perfectly fitted for one another
my father knew just how to tickle me
for just a few seconds
and yet give me the most memorable laughter
Its no wonder I could never wait till the end of school
with my dress in my sachet
and at the sound of the bell
I changed as fast as superman
and the run to his work
was as fast as the ‘jamaican rocket’.
No I could never wait to spend time with this man
he understood my every smile
and tolerated my little habits
for a time
and when I thought I was getting away with murder
I was in fact heading for a lesson I would carry for life
My father loved to hear me read
hang on…just my voice was enough to brighten his day
no matter what unpleasant noise i made
he looked forward to coming home
and at every 7 pm allow me to take off his shoes
and ease his feet
Yes my father taught me how to understand a man
because I knew when he needed space
if he was watching the news
not even I could distract him
but he loved me
ah my lovely old man
he watched me try to elongate myself
as I tried desperately to touch the chandelier in our home
he would laugh and giggle and encourage me that one day I would
My father got impatient with me
but only when I gave up on myself
he carried me when I was tired
and I still remember his roller coaster rides
on his broad shoulders
come on now..I even have his legs
yes in the lady form
but with them come the strength that can only be my father
Oh yes he was strong…I saw the veins on his arms
popping out defiantly
and I first understood the difference between woman and man
the reason I had to understand my place
and confidently appreciate some authority.
He always let me speak out
would listen to me talk gibberish
but would teach my tongue eloquence
by letting me recite poetry to his students.
my father understood the intricate beauty of my soul
and the trivialities that would appear complex to the naked eye
He saw past my physical
and what was expected of a girl child
but inspired me to be the best girl child I could be
My relationship with my father is the greatest.
by tolerating me
he drew me closer,
by firmly telling me he needed his space
he allowed me happiness when I spent quality time with him
I would look forward to it hence the running to work after school
I was not afraid to love him
because he allowed me to understand his emotions
in his own way
I could never have enough of my father
even in my dreams I dreamt of when next he would be home
to let me sit on his lap and hear me read
to be proud of me
and remind me that am the only jewel of my kind
I knew when my father was hurting
but all he required from me was a little hug
or hard work at school
to remind him it was not all bad
The happiness I gave him
because he allowed me to
was his foundation to making me happy
my father discovered the key to keeping a smile on my face
was sharing my happiness
and providing hope that
everyday was a different challenge
but with equal solution
Yes it all been in past tense this story
but that’s because the history is also the present
my father knows no distance
I have not always been around him physically
but he allows me to embrace his spirit
and knows how to carry my smile in his day
my heart in his pulse
and my love engulfs us even across the seas.
My father is and always will be
my perfect friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment