Saturday 12 October 2013

Silent Wives- Chapter 26- I said no

I pull Claire closer to me to comfort her. It is not that I blame the mother but I will not let her demons from the past destroy my friend’s future. The difference between my friends and I is that I see bullshit for what it really is. Just bullshit. Theycan turn around and say I am too rough or too tough or need fixing around the edges but I am fine just as I am. I have seen enough in my life time to know that I deserve so much better than half the men out there are willing to dish out.

Ladies are so desperate in Zambia to get married that one would think it was the in thing. Even with people listening to amazing songs like miss independent, the notion is still that you need a man to define you in order to qualify as a full woman! Oh wretched foolishness! Where do you get off thinking a person who is just goingto end up as dead as you will be is worthy of much more than you are! I don’t bloody think so!

Claire is dropping into that stupid realm where she is a living ghost! She is consumedwith so many reasons why she cannot leave and it is not her fault entirely. I amjust lucky that I am as strong as I am. Claire does not even see that Dr C isinto her and not Lara!! She should just dump that loser of a hubby and startanew with Dr C.

‘Take a seat and give me the baby.’ I demand. His diaper obviously needs changing and shehas failed to spot that. I pick up my godson and take him to my room to change.Claire follows behind. She cannot stay put!

‘Claire this is getting serious. Daniel needs to feel attached to you and he is not. The last few weeks have been very disruptive. I think you need to see someone’

‘See someone for what? So that they can judge me?’

‘No you also. Judge you about what Kanshi? You do know that Daniel’s wellbeing comes first at all times right. Your syndrome is affecting him. He can sense your moods and he feels abandoned! That is why you need to sort yourself out as soon as possible!For his sake!’

‘Diana, youhave just left my mother on your porch like she is a naughty teenager! Can we sort out one problem at a time please?’ I ignore her and carry on with thebaby. He is smiling beautifully with the fresh diaper. I place a rattle in hishands to keep him busy before turning my attention back to mummy dearest.

‘Your mother can come in when she chooses to act her age not her shoe size. Your life is my concern and I am sorry for being rude to her but she needs some tough love. Sometimesyou have to be cruel to be kind. I have been your friend forever and there is no way I will watch you walk into harm’s way. No way! So hate me if you have tobut I am sticking to my guns’ Claire pouts but does not argue. If only shecould use half the energy that she is throwing at me to fight her battles athome. Her job is suffering and I have heard rumours that she is about to bereplaced.

‘So what isgoing on with you and Dominic?’

‘Well he proposed two weeks ago but I said no’ I answer flatly.

‘What! He proposed and you did not tell us?’ Claire sounds hurt but it was not at the top of my to do list when she was in the condition that she was. Seriously! Where would I haveeven started the conversation?

‘I didn’t tell you because there was nothing to tell. You know what I am like with guys’

‘Yes but forgoodness sake woman! It is a proposal!’

‘That does not mean I have to accept it!’

‘But it does mean you have to tell us about it’ I sit on the bed next to her and let Daniel playaway in the background. His baby noises make for a comforting atmosphere. Claire stares excitedly at me and cannot wait to hear the news. Gosh the woman is asucker for romance!

‘Well you know he and I like taking trips a lot. So you remember the time I went on business to SA and he said he would accompany me?’ she nods enthusiastically. She is so adorable sometimes. ‘Well that is the weekend it happened. We has ordered dinner for two at the hotel and I thought it was just going to be our regular thingy majigy. I started telling him about work. I was blabbing on about aclient that was driving me insane when- you know….’ Eeeew she wants me to spellit out for her word for word. What can I do to speed this up? Romance makes meso queasy. That is the reason I have not even agreed to see Dominic today. I have been avoiding him.

There may be a small chance that I do love him or somestupid emotion like that. ‘He said, Diana I think you are a strong and wonderful woman and I would be a fool to think my life will be easier lived without you. Pleasesay you will do me the honour of being my wife’ Claire is actually gettingteary! Unbe-fucking-lievable pardon my French! Really that made her go gaga? WhenDominic said it to me all I wanted to do was throw up my steak! I had to pursemy lips so tight and force the food down to swallow so that I could not embarrasshim. I seriously think something is wrong with me! ‘So I accepted there andthen but only because people were looking!’

Claire gasps in disbelief. ‘Diana you monster!’ oh really I get to be the bad guy when I was saving a man from irreparable damage of public humiliation. The only thing I regretit that he texted his sister telling her that her plan had worked. Talk aboutawkward! ‘So when did you tell him that it was not going to happen?

‘We went back to our room and I handed him the ring back and told him I just was not ready for that kind of commitment’

‘Not ready? Womanyou are almost clocking thirty?’

‘And so what? Idon’t have to accept his. I have turned down three already.’

‘Three? Girl youare full of all sorts of secrets!’ I roll my eyes at her.

‘I just don’t thinkit is important to tell you unless the guy means something to me. I willconfess I sort of like dominic…’ she interrupts me right there.

‘Girl please that means you love him. You have never ever confessed liking a man before. Youalways dated them as a hobby!’

‘Well maybethere is something with this guy but I have to watch him closely. He is afterall friends with your husband. I don’t want to find they have the same traits no offence!’

‘None taken’

‘If he really wants me as his wife, the turn down will not put him off trying again’ of course he will try again. Men like the impossible. I know he will be back.






No comments:

Post a Comment