Wednesday 24 October 2012

Careful who you open up to!!


just want to take today's topic back to the days when we were growing up and our mothers were teaching us about home life.
Yea we all know at the time of growing up you never really appreciate the value of the adults knowledge unless of course it benefits you at that instant moment. 

I will give an example of my mothers grace verses my hasty self. We had a neighbour that forever came to our door "odini kuno" at 12pm sharp. Smelling the aromas from my mothers kitchen always enticed her to come and settle herself unwelcomed by me, in our little kitchen and feast fervently on our food. May I add that this woman made it a point to share my meal!!!Pardon me for being a bit stingy I was meant to be the last born after all. However it didn't matter to banakulu Mercy who who indulge in my little luxuries even if I had just two pieces of chikanda on my plate lol.

But Banakulu Mercy did not only want to indulge in our food. By lunch time she had gathered enough stories from other neighbors to write an encyclopedia!!I loved listening to these stories like how bana Charity was now in hospital after ukumona ichiwa mumpanga or how bana chitechi had been kicked out of her house by her husband and left two kids behind! I sat there listening intently but my mother never commented. I prompted for more info but my mother merely nodded smiled or put on her pity face. I couldn't understand it!!How could mum resist such juicy stories??? And when banakulu Mercy asked about my mums life mum was quick to evade the subject very skillfully.

One day after our usual encounter I asked mum why she was always so quiet about our lives and she merely replied "don't wash your dirty linen in public". The irony considering the wash line was outside and so where all the facilities we used to wash our clothes.

However we all know what mama meant by that. No one ever knew mamas business even when things were not entirely OK  The only thing she was known for by the public was how much she loved God and that she had a sweet and loving family full of children. 

This is not to say all was well but it brings me to our current situations what with electronic ways of communicating and what not. The bible says in proverbs 23:7 that as a man thinketh in his heart so is he. In short what you confess you will surely get. If you confess negativity over your life or your family that is what you will get. If you tell your entire Facebook that your marriage is lousy guess what not only will you get what you confess but you will be the laughing stock of many.

A strong family is held on the bedrock of a strong woman. You hold your head high even when your knees are begging you to buckle. You smile proudly because you know your virtue speaks for itself. What you do behind closed doors is between you and your man. You love him there and in public but you never ever ever bring shame to him especially via a status. I say be careful who you open up to because not everyone cares about you or your life. what they do care about is passing the time with some juicy gossip like I did many years ago. Don't be someone's pastime. 

Enjoy your life, enjoy your man, enjoy your family and enjoy what God has graced you with but leave the Facebook to have a happy face always!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment